Monday, April 2, 2012

How do i view writing...

To me writing was always communication. No matter if you were communicating fact or even fiction, this is what purpose writing served. It's one of the many reasons I chose to be an English major, so I could communicate my thoughts easier, so I could be submerged into a world where words trickled around you constantly and passed on new knowledge, and new ideas. I had thought that for the longest time only a select few knew the meaning and importance of writing, and I had thought myself to be one of those lucky few. But now...it's as if a new world has just been opened up around me. Once I had seen myself as this worldly (or on my way to becoming) person, but now I see that my mode of writing was...blase? I can barely remember a time when I was told to write out a paper, physically. Perhaps back in elementary school, but the computer had always been the mode I was taught with. But looking at it now, how is writing a paper on Microsoft windows, at all really differ from writing it out via hand? There are so many new ways to compose your writing and get it out in the word and covey your message. There are new ways for a person's work to not be so...blase. The "Information R/evolution video" was a digital composition within itself, showing how digital composition can be utilized. WIDE's "Why we teach digital composition" tells why digital composition should be utilized. And pretty much the gist of the two products are telling us that there is so much more out there. Explaining that we have yet to push the limits on writing yet, and that we better get started, because technology is advancing faster than we are teaching. Our teaching facilities are still stuck with the a word document, and although it is technological, it still restrains the creativity and applies laws to how we compose our work. So why do we stay in the dark ages, when technology is obviously running this country, and even the world. I feel as though if we don't watch out then we could begin to slip intellectually, and then where would we be?

No comments:

Post a Comment