Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I believe kids should drive crappy cars...

So I think for my auditory literary thingy I'm going to do the "This I believe..." format. It just seems more organized, and makes more sense for my topic I think.
The topic to my "This I believe" auditory essay thing, will be "This I believe: I believe in driving crappy cars". My idea in more detail being, I believe new drivers should drive a crappy car. My audience would probably be more focused towards parents of new drivers because what new driver wants to drive around a tin can when their parents can buy them a (insert awesome car here)? The story I plan on telling is how my parents forced me to drive a rusted 1989 Mazda all through my high school career, which was not only a stick shift, but had busted shocks (and I don't even know what that means).
My goal for this project is really just to get parents to feel nostalgic for the cars they use to drive. Having a "my first car sucked" story actually is something people can bond over. Also, I think it's ridiculous that kids just roll around in brand spanking new cars right out of the BMV parking lot. Driving around in a crappy car teaches kids humility and modesty and how to survive in practically any car break down situation, because lets get real, in a crappy car you are gonna break down at least once in your drivers license life.
I hope the audience responds in wanting to give their kid a crappy car. Something with a bad paint job, or a cracked window, a whacked out air system, or still has a tape deck. I know to this day I am SO happy my father forced me to learn how to drive a stick shift. When given the chance to get a new car after graduation, I chose a stick. And so my cute lil' 2010 Cobalt is in fact, a stick shift, and I wouldn't trade the memories I had in that gosh darn 1989 Mazda for anything.
I chose to tell this story specifically because I didn't see one like it yet on the "This I believe..." website. And I think it would be a good out of the blue topic. Truthfully, I just want more kids to drive crappy cars so that I wasn't the only one haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment